1. Not yielding to pressure or easily penetrated
2. Metaphorically hard
3. Dried out
4. Into a solid condition
5. Unfortunate or hard to bear; SYN. tough.
6. Very strong or vigorous; SYN. knockout, severe.
7. Having a high alcoholic content; SYN. strong.
8. Said of a drinker or drinking; indulging intemperately; SYN. heavy.
9. Permanent, fixed, or physically defined; unchangeable by the ordinary operation of a computer system. See also hard copy, hard error, hard return, hard-sectored disk. Compare soft (definition 1).
10. Retaining magnetization even in the absence of an external magnetic field. Compare soft (definition 2).
ETYM Old Eng. harde, AS. hearde.
1. With effort or force or vigor.
2. With firmness; SYN. firmly.
3. With pain or distress or bitterness.
4. To the full extent possible; all the way.
5. Slowly and with difficulty.
6. Earnestly or intently.
7. Causing great damage or hardship; SYN. severely.
8. Very near or close in space or time.