(Eldred) (1916-) US film actor. He specialized in strong, upright characters, but also had a gift for light comedy. His films include Spellbound 1945, Duel in the Sun 1946, Gentleman’s Agreement 1947, Roman Holiday 1953, To Kill a Mockingbird 1962, for which he won an Academy Award, and (cast against type as a Nazi doctor) The Boys from Brazil 1974.
1. City in Idaho (USA); zip code 83545.
2. Village in Michigan (USA); zip code 48466.
ETYM Perh. akin to pack; or, orig., an indefinite quantity, and from peck, v. (below): cf. also French picotin a peak.
1. A British imperial capacity measure (liquid or dry) equal to 2 gallons.
2. A United States dry measure equal to 8 quarts or 537.605 cubic inches.
Unit of dry measure equal to 8 quarts.
Obsolete unit of dry measure, equaling eight quarts or a quarter bushel (9.002 liters).
1. To eat by pecking at; of birds; SYN. pick up.
2. To hit lightly with a picking motion; SYN. pick, beak.