ETYM Old Eng. andsware, AS. andswaru; and against + swerian to swear. Related to Anti-, and Swear, un-.
1. The speech act of replying to a question.
2. A statement (either spoken or written) that is made in reply to a question or request or criticism or accusation; SYN. reply, response.
3. A nonverbal reaction.
4. The principle pleading by the defendant in response to plaintiff's complaint; in criminal law it consists of the defendant's plea of 'guilty' or 'not guilty' (or nolo contendere).
1. To reply or respond to; SYN. reply, respond.
2. To give the correct answer or solution to.
3. To give a defence or refutation of (a charge) or in (an argument).
4. To be satisfactory for; meet the requirements of or serve the purpose of.
5. To be liable or accountable.
6. To match or correspond.
7. To react to a stimulus or command.
8. To respond to a signal.