1. To be gradually disclosed or unfolded; become manifest.
2. To cause to grow and differentiate in ways conforming to its natural development; SYN. make grow.
3. To grow, progress, unfold, or evolve gradually through a process of evolution, natural growth, or differentiation.
4. To make something new and usually improved, such as a product.
5. To generate gradually.
6. To gradually acquire new traits or characteristics; SYN. evolve.
7. To grow emotionally or mature; SYN. grow.
8. To expand a function or expression in the form of a series, in mathematics.
9. To change the use of and make available or usable.
10. To elaborate by the unfolding of a musical idea and by the working out of the rhythmic and harmonic changes in the theme.
11. To disclose or reveal (obsolete).
12. To superimpose a three-dimensional surface on a plane without stretching, in geometry.
13. To move one's chess pieces into strategically more advantageous positions.
14. To make visible by means of chemical solutions; said of photographic film.