ETYM Icel. sala, sal, akin to Eng. sell. Related to Sell.
1. A particular instance of selling.
2. An agreement (or contract) in which property is transferred from the seller (vendor) to the buyer (vendee) for a fixed price in money (paid or agreed to be paid by the buyer).
3. An occasion (usually brief) for buying at specially reduced prices; SYN. cut-rate sale, sales event.
4. The general activity of selling.
5. The state of being purchasable; offered or exhibited for selling.
(Australia) Town in Victoria, Australia, linked by canal via the Gippsland Lake to Bass Strait; It has benefited from the Strait deposits of oil and natural gas, and the brown coal to the S. The town was named for the British general Robert Sale (1782–1845).
City and port nw Morocco, N suburb of Rabat.