A valve that controls the flow of air into the carburetor of a gasoline engine.
A coil of low resistance and high inductance used in electrical circuits to pass direct current and attenuate alternating current; SYN. choke coil, choking coil.
1. To constrict (someone's) throat and keep from breathing; SYN. strangle, suffocate.
2. To wring the neck of; SYN. scrag.
3. To breathe with great difficulty, as when experiencing a strong emotion.
4. To reduce the air supply; of carburetors; SYN. throttle.
5. To check or slow down the action or effect of.
6. To be too tight; rub or press; SYN. gag, fret.