ETYM French accomplissement, from accomplir.
The act of accomplishing something; SYN. achievement.
An ability that has been acquired by training
ETYM Latin gentilitas the relationship of those who belong to the same clan, also, heathenism: cf. French gentilité heathenism. Related to Gentile.
1. Good extraction; dignity of birth.
2. The quality or qualities appropriate to those who are well born, as self-respect, dignity, courage, courtesy, politeness of manner, a graceful and easy mien and behavior, etc.; good breeding.
3. The class in society who are, or are expected to be, genteel; the nobility.
1. A glossy finish on a fabric.
2. Any of various thin shiny (savory or sweet) coatings applied to foods.
3. Coating for fabrics, ceramics, metal, etc.
1. A highly developed state; SYN. refinement.
2. A preparation used in polishing.
3. The property of being smooth and shiny; SYN. gloss, glossiness, burnish.
ETYM Cf. French raffinement.
1. Elegance by virtue of fineness of manner and expression; SYN. breeding, genteelness, gentility.
2. The result of improving something; SYN. elaboration.
ETYM Latin urbanitas; cf. French urbanité.
Polished courtesy; elegance of manner.