ETYM French addition, Latin additio, from addere to add.
1. A component that is added to something to improve it; SYN. improver.
2. A quantity that is added; SYN. increase, gain.
3. A suburban area laid out in streets and lots for a future residential area.
4. The act of adding one thing to another.
In arithmetic, the operation of combining two numbers to form a sum; thus, 7 + 4 = 11. It is one of the four basic operations of arithmetic (the others are subtraction, multiplication, and division).
1. A relation that provides the foundation for something; or; SYN. basis, ground.
2. Status with respect to the relations between people or groups:; SYN. terms.