ETYM Old Eng. relef, French relief, properly, a lifting up, a standing out. Related to Relieve, Basrelief, Rilievi.
1. The feeling that comes when something burdensome is removed or reduced; SYN. alleviation, assuagement.
2. Assistance in time of difficulty; SYN. succor, succour, ministration.
3. Aid for the aged or indigent or handicapped.
4. The act of freeing a city or town that has been besieged.
5. The condition of being comfortable or relieved (especially after being relieved of distress); SYN. ease.
6. Shapes carved on a surface so as to stand out from the background; SYN. relievo.
7. Sculpture in which the figures are raised above a surrounding flat plane; SYN. embossment, relievo, rilievo.
8. (Law) Redress awarded by a court.