(Irregular preterit, past participle: cut).
1. To separate with or as if with an instrument.
2. To shorten as if by severing the edges or ends of.
3. To make an incision or separation.
4. To function as a cutting instrument.
5. To form or shape by cutting or incising; SYN. cut out.
6. To form by probing, penetrating, or digging.
7. To fell by sawing; hew.
8. To allow incision or separation.
9. To cease, stop; SYN. cut off.
10. To divide at random.
11. To have grow through the gums.
12. (Film) To make an abrupt change of image or sound.
13. To intentionally fail to attend; SYN. skip.
14. To hit (a ball) with a spin so that it turns in the opposite direction.
15. To give the appearance or impression of.
16. To create by recording electronically.
17. To discharge from a group.
18. To dissolve by breaking down the fat of.
19. To pass directly and often in haste.
20. To pass through or across.
21. To perform or carry out.
22. To eliminate a part from the whole.
23. To style and tailor in a certain fashion; SYN. style, tailor.
24. To weed out unwanted or unnecessary things; SYN. prune, rationalize.
25. To move, as of a fist in boxing.
(Irregular preterit, past participle: sheared; or p.p.: shorn).
1. To cut or cut through with shears.
2. To cut with shears, as of hedges.
To remove the ovaries of an animal by surgery.
Render (female animal) sterile.