To anneal or toughen by a process of gradually heating and cooling; SYN. temper.
to heat and cool metal gradually to temper.
strengthen; temper, especially by subjecting to great heat and slow cooling.
1. To cook and make edible by putting in a hot oven.
2. To prepare with dry heat in an oven.
(Homonym: bight, byte).
(Irregular preterit, past participle: bit, bitten).
1. To cause a sharp of stinging pain or discomfort; SYN. sting, burn.
2. To penetrate or cut, as with a knife.
3. To grip, cut off, or tear with or as if with the teeth or jaws; SYN. seize with teeth.
Sinonimi: oven broil | bake
1. To cook under a broiler; SYN. oven broil.
2. To heat by a natural force; SYN. bake.
(Irregular preterit, past participle: burned; or: burnt).
1. To destroy by fire; SYN. fire, burn down.
2. To feel hot or painful.
3. To burn with heat, fire, or radiation.
4. To cause to burn.
5. To undergo combustion; SYN. combust.
6. To be completely consumed by fire; to reduce to ashes; SYN. incinerate.
7. To feel strong emotion, esp. anger or passion.
8. To shine intensely, as if with heat; SYN. glow.
9. To spend (significant amounts of money).
10. To burn at the stake.
Alternate (chiefly British) spelling of cauterize.
(Alternate spelling: cauterise).
To burn or sear (tissue) using a hot iron or electric current or a caustic agent; SYN. burn.
1. To be excessively hot.
2. To cook on a hot surface using fat.
1. To cook by exposing to dry heat (as in an oven or before a fire) or by surrounding with hot embers, sand, or stones; to dry and parch by exposure to heat
2. To heat (inorganic material) with access of air and without fusing to effect change (as expulsion of volatile matter, oxidation, or removal of sulfur from sulfide ores)
3. To heat to excess
4. To subject to severe criticism or ridicule
5. To honor (a person) at a roast
6. To cook food by heat
7. To undergo being roasted
8. To cook with dry heat, usually in an oven
1. To burn or sear with a sizzling sound
2. To make a sound like frying fat.
3. To seethe with deep anger or resentment