1. Any of several marine food fishes related to cod.
2. Lean-fleshed fish similar to cod.
3. Any of various marine fishes of the cod family, found in N European, African, and American waters. They have silvery, elongated bodies and attain a length of 1 m/3 ft. They have two dorsal fins and one long anal fin. The silver hake Merluccius bilinearis is an important food fish.
Hakes; Also called: genus Merluccius.
Sinonimi: Merlangus merlangus | Gadus merlangus
ETYM From White.
1. A food fish of European Atlantic waters resembling the cod; sometimes placed in genus Gadus; SYN. Merlangus merlangus, Gadus merlangus.
2. A small fish of the genus Sillago; excellent food fish.
3. Any of several food fishes of North American coastal waters.
4. Flesh of a cod-like fish of European Atlantic waters.
5. Flesh of any of a number of slender food fishes especially of Atlantic coasts of North America.
Any of various edible marine bony fishes, especially the silver hake and various kingfishes, genus Menticirrhus.