ETYM French négatif, Latin negativus, from negare to deny. Related to Negation.
1. Expressing or consisting of a negation or refusal or denial.
2. Characterized by or displaying negation or denial or opposition or resistance; having no positive features.
3. Having the quality of something harmful or unpleasant.
4. Reckoned in a direction opposite to that regarded as positive.
5. Having a negative electric charge; SYN. electronegative.
6. (Medicine) Not indicating the presence of microorganisms or disease or a specific condition; SYN. disconfirming.
7. (Mathematics) Less than zero.