ETYM Old Fren. especial, French spécial, Latin specialis, from species a particular sort, kind, or quality. Related to Species, Special.
Surpassing what is common or usual or expected; SYN. exceptional, particular, special.
ETYM Old Eng. particuler, French particulier, Latin particularis. Related to Particle.
1. Providing specific details or circumstances.
2. Separate and distinct from others of the same group or category.
3. Separate and distinct from others.
4. Unique or specific to a person or thing or category; SYN. peculiar, special.
First and most important; SYN. special.
ETYM Latin peculiaris, from peculium private property, akin to pecunia money: cf. Old Fren. peculier. Related to Pecuniary.
1. Markedly different from the usual.
2. Characteristic of one only; distinctive or special.
ETYM Old Eng. singuler, French singulier, from Latin singularius, singularis, from singulus single. Related to Single.
1. Being a single and separate person or thing.
2. Grammatical number category referring to a single item or unit.
3. The single one of its kind; SYN. unique, exceptional.
ETYM Latin specialis, from species a particular sort, kind, or quality: cf. French spécial. Related to Species, Especial.
1. Adapted to or reserved for a particular purpose.
2. For a special service or occasion.
ETYM French spécifique, or New Lat. cpesificus; Latin species a particular sort or kind + facere to make. Related to Specify.
1. Stated explicitly or in detail.
2. Relating to or distinguishing or constituting a taxonomic species.
3. (Sometimes followed by 'to') Applying to or characterized by or distinguishing something particular or special or unique.
4. (Med and pathology) Being or affecting a disease produced by a particular microorganism or condition; used also of stains or dyes used in making microscope slides.
ETYM French unique; cf. Italian unico; from Latin unicus, from unus one. Related to One.
1. Highly unusual or rare but not the single instance.
2. (Followed by 'to') Applying exclusively to a given category or condition or locality.
3. The single one of its kind
4. Highly unusual or rare but not the single instance