ETYM Latin adustus, p. p. of adurere: cf. French aduste.
1. Dried out by heat or excessive exposure to sunlight; SYN. baked, parched, scorched, sunbaked.
2. (Archaic) Burned brown by the sun.
1. Hardened by subjecting to intense heat; SYN. burned, burnt.
2. (Of bread and pastries) Cooked by dry heat (as in an oven).
ETYM Latin torridus, from torrere to parch, to burn, akin to Eng. Thist: cf. French torride. Related to Thirst.
1. Burning hot; extremely and unpleasantly hot; SYN. sultry.
2. Emotionally charged and vigorously energetic.
3. Dried up; very hot; tropical.