(Irregular preterit, past participle: arose, arisen).
1. To occur; SYN. come up.
2. To originate or come into being; SYN. come up, bob up.
3. To rise to one's feet; SYN. rise, get up, stand up.
(Irregular preterit, past participle: rose, risen).
1. To grow in volume, as under the influence of heat or fermentation; of substances.
2. To move upward; SYN. lift, arise, move up, go up, come up.
3. To grow or suddenly appear; SYN. lift, rear.
4. To become heartened or elated.
5. To come up, of celestial bodies; SYN. come up.
6. To increase in value; as of prices or numbers; SYN. climb, go up.
7. To increase in volume; of dough; SYN. prove.
8. To rise in rank or status; SYN. jump, climb up.
9. To straighten up.
10. To exert oneself to meet a challenge.