Wide dominion; empire.
ETYM French, from Latin imperium a command, sovereignty, dominion, empire, from imperare. Related to Emperor; cf. Imperial.
1. A group of countries under a single authority.
2. A monarchy with an emperor as head of state.
3. The domain ruled by an emperor or empress.
ETYM Old Eng. realme, ream, reaume, Old Fren. reialme, roialme, French royaume, from (assumed) Late Lat. regalimen, from Latin regalis royal. Related to Regal.
1. A royal jurisdiction or domain; a region which is under the dominion of a king; a kingdom.
2. Hence, in general, province; region; country; domain; department; division.