ETYM Cf. French appréhensif. Related to Apprehend.
1. In fear or dread of possible evil or harm.
2. Quick to understand; SYN. discerning.
1. Experiencing or showing fear.
2. Extremely distressing; SYN. frightful, terrible.
3. Timid by nature or revealing timidity; SYN. timorous, trepid.
ETYM Latin scrupulosus: cf. French scrupuleux.
Having scruples; arising from a sense of right and wrong; principled.
Bashful; over-modest; excessively timid.
ETYM Latin timidus, from timere to fear; cf. Skr. tam to become breathless, to become stupefief: cf. French timide.
1. Contemptibly timid.
2. Showing fear and lack of confidence.