ETYM Old Eng. lasche; cf. Dutch lasch piece set in, joint, seam, German lashe latchet, a bit of leather, gusset, stripe, laschen to furnish with flaps, to lash or slap, Icel. laski gusset, flap, laska to break.
The flexible part of a whip; SYN. thong.
ETYM French escourgée, from Latin excoriata (sc. scutica) a stripped off (lash or whip), from excoriare to strip, to skin. Related to Excoriate.
A whip used to inflict punishment.
ETYM Cf. od. swick a scourage, a whip. Related to Swink, Swing.
(Irregular plural: switches).
1. The act of changing one thing or position for another; SYN. switching, shift.
2. A tress of false hair used by women to give shape to a coiffure.
3. A flexible implement, usually a small stick, used for punishment.
ETYM Old Eng. thong, thwong, thwang, AS. thwang; akin to Icel. thvengr a thong, latchet. Related to Twinge.
1. A kind of sandal attached to the foot by means of strips of leather.
2. A strip of leather.
ETYM Old Eng. whippe. Related to Whip.
1. A legislator appointed by the party to enforce discipline; SYN. party whip.
2. A quick blow with a whip; SYN. lash, whiplash.
3. An instrument with a handle and a flexible lash that is used for whipping.