ETYM Old Eng. amortisen, Late Lat. amortisare, admortizare, French amortir to sell in mortmain, to extinguish; Latin ad + mors death. Related to Mortmain.
(Alternate spelling: amortise).
1. To liquidate gradually; SYN. amortise.
2. Nullify debt, gen. by forming a sinking fund.
1. To convert into cash; of commercial papers.
2. To pay off, as of loans or promissory notes; SYN. pay off.
3. To buy back; repurchase; to get or win back
4. To free from what distresses or harms: as to free from captivity by payment of ransom
5. To change for the better; reform
6. Repair, restore
7. To free from a lien by payment of an amount secured thereby
8. To atone for; expiate; to offset the bad effect of; to make worthwhile; retrieve