A pan used for frying foods; SYN. frypan, skillet, frying-pan
ETYM Old Eng. gredil, gredl, gridel, of Celtic origin; cf. W. greidell, Irish greideal, greideil, griddle, gridiron, greadaim I burn, scorch. Related to Gridiron.
A flat heated surface (as on top of a stove) on which food is cooked.
1. Shallow container made of metal. Wide metal vessel used in cooking.
2. A natural basin or depression in land; a similar artificial basin (as for evaporating brine)
3. A drifting fragment of the flat thin ice that forms in bays or along the shore
4. A harsh criticism
5. The process of panning a motion-picture or video camera
6. A shot in which the camera is panned
7. A betel leaf
8. A masticatory of betel nut, mineral lime, and pan