(Irregular preterit, past participle: heard).
1. To examine or hear (evidence or a case) by judicial process; SYN. try.
2. To perceive sound; perceive by the auditory sense.
3. To receive a communication from someone.
1. To listen
2. To give respectful attention
(Irregular preterit, past participle: understood).
1. To perceive mentally, as of an idea; SYN. realize, see.
2. To know and comprehend the nature or meaning of.
3. To make sense of a language, although one may not be able to produce it; SYN. read, interpret, translate.
4. To believe to be the case; SYN. gather, infer.