In physics, the intrinsic angular momentum of a subatomic particle, nucleus, atom, or molecule, which continues to exist even when the particle comes to rest. A particle in a specific energy state has a particular spin, just as it has a particular electric charge and mass. According to quantum theory, this is restricted to discrete and indivisible values, specified by a spin quantum number. Because of its spin, a charged particle acts as a small magnet and is affected by magnetic fields.
1. A swift whirling motion (usually of a missile).
2. The act of rotating rapidly; SYN. twirl, twist, twisting, whirl.
Sinonimi: whip top
A top that is spun by whipping; SYN. whip top.
1. A child's toy, spun or whirled around like a wheel upon an axis, or like a top.
2. Anything which whirls around, or in which persons or things are whirled about, such as a merry-go-round.
3. A medieval instrument for punishing petty offenders, being a kind of wooden cage turning on a pivot, in which the offender was whirled round with great force.
4. Any one of numerous species of beetles belonging to Gyrinus and allied genera. The body is firm, oval or boatlike in form, and usually dark colored with a bronzelike luster.