1. The ringing or sounding of bells
2. A jingling or tinkling sound as if of bells
To make a high sound, as of champagne glasses during a toast.
ETYM Old Eng. sounen, sownen, Old Fren. soner, suner, French sonner, from Latin sonare. Related to Sound a noise.
1. To make a certain noise or sound; SYN. go.
2. To give off a certain sound or sounds.
3. To cause to sound.
4. To announce by means of a sound.
5. To appear in a certain way.
1. To affect in some degree with the qualities of another substance; especially, to color slightly; to stain
2. To imbue or impregnate with something different or foreign.
To dye with a color; SYN. tinct, bepaint, tinge, touch.