1. Relating to, inherent in, or affecting the constitution of body or mind
2. Of, relating to, or entering into the fundamental makeup of something; essential
3. Being in accordance with or authorized by the constitution of a state or society
4. Regulated by or ruling according to a constitution
5. Of or relating to a constitution
6. Loyal to or supporting an established constitution or form of government
ETYM Latin legalis, from lex, legis, law; prob. orig., that which lies or is fixed (cf. Latin lectus bed), and if so akin to Eng. lie, law: cf. French légal. Related to Lie to be prostrate, Loyal, Leal.
1. Of or relating to jurisprudence.
2. Established by or founded upon law or official or accepted rules.
3. Having legal efficacy or force; SYN. sound.
4. (Sports) Allowed by official rules.
5. Relating to or characteristic of the profession of law.
ETYM Latin licitus permitted, lawful, from licere: cf. French licite. Related to License.
Sanctioned by custom or morality especially sexual morality.
According to the constitution.