(Irregular preterit, past participle: had).
1. To hold, own or possess, either in a concrete or an abstract sense; SYN. have got, hold.
2. To possess as a feature; SYN. feature.
3. To possess a personal or business relationship with someone.
4. To achieve a point or goal, as in a sport; SYN. get, make.
5. To be confronted with.
6. To suffer from; be ill with.
7. To undergo; SYN. experience.
ETYM Old Eng. unnen to grant, permit, be pleased with, as. unnan to grant; akin to os. giunnan, German gönnen, Icel. unna; of uncertain origin. This word has been confused with own to possess.
To have ownership or possession of; SYN. have, possess.
1. To enter into and control, as of emotions or ideas
2. To have as an attribute, knowledge, or skill