(Irregular preterit, past participle: caught).
1. To take hold of so as to seize or restrain or stop the motion of; SYN. grab, take hold of.
2. To reach in time.
3. To perceive with the senses quickly, suddenly, or momentarily; SYN. pick up.
4. To apprehend and reproduce accurately; SYN. get.
5. To become aware of.
6. To grasp with the mind; SYN. get, understand.
7. To hear, usually without the knowledge of the speakers; SYN. take in, overhear.
8. To get or regain something necessary, usually quickly or briefly.
9. To delay or hold up; prevent from proceeding on schedule or as planned.
10. To discover or come upon accidentally, suddenly, or unexpectedly; catch somebody doing something or in a certain state.
11. To spread or be communicated.
12. To start burning.
13. To suffer from the receipt of; SYN. get.
14. To attract and fix; SYN. arrest, get.
15. To be struck or affected by;,, etc.
16. To be the catcher, in baseball.
17. To cause to become accidentally or suddenly caught, ensnared, or entangled.
18. To check oneself during an action.
19. To contract.
20. To perceive by hearing; SYN. get.