Abbreviation for approximately.
ETYM Latin approximatus, p. p. of approximare to approach; ad + proximare to come near. Related to Proximate.
1. Located close together; SYN. close together.
2. Not quite exact or correct; SYN. approximative, rough.
3. Very close in resemblance; SYN. near.
(Of quantities) Imprecise but fairly close to correct; SYN. about, close to, just about, some, roughly, more or less, around, or so.
1. With rough motion as over a rough surface; SYN. rough.
2. With roughness or violence; ('rough' is informal as in); SYN. rough.