ETYM French contrôle a counter register, contr. from contr-rôle; contre (Latin contra) + rôle roll, catalogue. Related to Counter and Roll, Counterroll.
1. Power to direct or determine.
2. A mechanism that controls the operation of a machine; SYN. controller.
3. A relation of constraint of one entity (thing or person or group) by another.
4. A spiritual agency that is assumed to assist the medium during a seance.
5. (Physiology) Regulation or maintenance of a function or action or reflex etc.
6. The activity of managing or exerting control over something; SYN. controlling.
7. The economic policy of controlling or limiting or curbing prices or wages etc.
A system for controlling the operation of another system.
Arrangement of devices for regulating and guiding a machine
1. A physiological state corresponding to a strong need or desire.
2. The act of applying force to propel something; SYN. thrust, driving force.
3. A journey in a vehicle driven by someone else; SYN. ride.
4. The trait of being highly motivated
5. A mechanism by which force or power is transmitted in a machine
6. A wide scenic road planted with trees; SYN. parkway.
7. Hitting a golf ball off of a tee with a driver; SYN. driving.
8. The act of driving a herd of animals overland.
9. A hard straight return (as in tennis or squash).
The cheapest accommodations on a passenger ship.
1. The act of setting and holding a course; SYN. guidance, direction.
2. The act of steering a ship; SYN. steerage.
Management by overseeing the performance or operation of a person or group; SYN. supervising, superintendence, oversight.