der senkrechte Höhenunterschied zweier Punkte, bezogen auf deren in waagerechter Richtung gemessene Entfernung; z.B. bei Dächern, Straßen, Abflußleitungen.
ETYM French descente, from descendre; like vente, from vendre. Related to Descend.
1. A downward slope; SYN. declivity, fall, decline, downslope.
2. A movement downward.
3. The act of changing one's location in a downward direction.
4. The kinship relation between an individual and the individual's progenitors; SYN. line of descent, lineage, filiation.
The angle and direction in which a bed of rock is inclined to the horizontal. Rocks that are dipping have usually been affected by folding.
1. A depression in an otherwise level surface.
2. A brief swim in water; SYN. plunge.
3. A brief immersion.
4. (Physics) The angle that a magnetic needle makes with the plane of the horizon; SYN. angle of dip, magnetic dip, magnetic inclination, inclination.
5. Tasty mixture or liquid into which bite-sized foods are dipped.