ETYM See Eddy (n.).
To flow in a circular current, of liquids; SYN. purl, gurge, whirlpool, swirl, whirl.
(Irregular preterit, past participle: spun).
1. To revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis; SYN. spin around, whirl, reel, gyrate.
2. To work natural fibers into a thread.
3. To form a web by making a thread, as of spiders.
4. To prolong or extend; SYN. spin out.
5. To make up a story, as in.
6. To stream in jets, of liquids.
1. To whirl, or cause to whirl, as in an eddy.
2. Flow in a circular current, of liquids
1. To cause to spin; SYN. birl, spin, twirl.
2. To fly around, as of paper on the sidewalk, or clothes in a dryer, or rising smoke in the wind; SYN. swirl, tumble, whirl around.