(Irregular preterit, past participle: stood).
1. To be standing; be upright; SYN. stand up.
2. To put into an upright position; SYN. stand up, place upright.
3. To occupy a place or location, also metaphorically.
4. To have or maintain a position or stand on an issue.
5. To hold one's ground; maintain a position; be steadfast or upright; SYN. remain firm.
6. To be tall; have a height of; copula.
7. To be in some specified state or condition.
8. To be in effect; be or remain in force.
9. To remain inactive, as of a car in a garage, or not flowing, as of water.
10. To be available for stud services, of male domestic animals such as stallions.
abide · bear · brook · digest · endure · fend · place upright · put u · remain firm · resist · stand by · stand firm · stand for · stand out · stand up · stick out · stomach · suffer · support · tolerate