1. A stamp affixed to a document (as to attest to its authenticity or to seal it).
2. A finishing coating applied to seal out especially moisture.
3. A device incised to make an impression; used to secure a closing or to authenticate documents; SYN. stamp.
4. A tight and perfect closure.
5. Mark or impression made in a block of wax to authenticate letters and documents. Seals were used in ancient China and are still used in China, Korea, and Japan.
ETYM Old Fren. signet a signet, French, a bookmark, dim. of signe. Related to Sign, Sennet.
A seal (especially one used to mark documents officially).