1. Saillie. Décoration en relief.
2. Hauteurs. Les reliefs montagneux.
3. (Au figuré) Lumière. Mettre en relief.
4. (Au pluriel) (Vieux)
5. Restes. Des reliefs d'ortolan.
ETYM Old Eng. relef, French relief, properly, a lifting up, a standing out. Related to Relieve, Basrelief, Rilievi.
1. The feeling that comes when something burdensome is removed or reduced; SYN. alleviation, assuagement.
2. Assistance in time of difficulty; SYN. succor, succour, ministration.
3. Aid for the aged or indigent or handicapped.
4. The act of freeing a city or town that has been besieged.
5. The condition of being comfortable or relieved (especially after being relieved of distress); SYN. ease.
6. Shapes carved on a surface so as to stand out from the background; SYN. relievo.
7. Sculpture in which the figures are raised above a surrounding flat plane; SYN. embossment, relievo, rilievo.
8. (Law) Redress awarded by a court.