2. (Familier) Figure. Un coup dans la poire.
3. (Familier) Dupe. Une bonne poire.
Sinonimi: pear tree | Pyrus communis
ETYM Old Eng. pere, as. peru, Latin pirum: cf. French poire. Related to Perry.
(Homonym: pair, pare).
1. Old World tree having sweet gritty-textured juicy fruit; widely cultivated in many varieties; SYN. pear tree, Pyrus communis.
2. Sweet juicy gritty-textured fruit available in many varieties.
Tree Pyrus communis, family Rosaceae, native to temperate regions of Eurasia. It has a succulent edible fruit, less hardy than the apple.
ETYM Old Eng. hed, heved, heaved, as. heáfod.
1. The top of the body; the portion of the body containing the brain and showing the face.
2. The top of something.
3. An individual person.
4. The length or height based on the size of a human or animal head.
5. A rounded compact mass.
6. The striking part of a tool.
7. A part that projects out from the rest;.
8. The front of a military formation or procession.
9. A person who is in charge; SYN. chief, top dog.
10. (Linguistics) The word in a constituent that plays the same grammatical role as the whole; SYN. head word.
11. A single domestic animal.
12. (Usually plural) An obverse side of a coin that bears the representation of a person's head.
13. The tip of an abscess (where the pus accumulates).
14. The pressure exerted by a fluid.
15. A toilet on board a boat of ship.
16. (Informal) A user of (usually soft) drugs.
17. The foam or froth that accumulates at the top when one pours an effervescent liquid into a container.
ETYM French idiot, Latin idiota an uneducated, ignorant, ill-informed person, Greek idioths, also and orig., a private person, not holding public office, from idios proper, peculiar. Related to Idiom.
A person of subnormal intelligence; SYN. imbecile, cretin, moron, changeling, half-wit, retard.
ETYM Cf. Irish mugam a mug, mucog a cup.
1. The quantity that can be held in a mug; SYN. mugful.
2. With handle and usually cylindrical.
Boisson ŕ base de poires.