ETYM Scot. bun, bunn, Old Eng. bunne, bonne; from Celtic; cf. Irish bunna, Gael. bonnach, or Old Fren. bugne tumor, Prov. French bugne a kind of pancake.
Small rounded bread either plain or sweet; SYN. roll.
ETYM French rôle a roll, from Latin rotulus little wheel, Late Lat., a roll, dim. of Latin rota a wheel. Related to Roll, Rôle, Rouleau, Roulette.
1. The act of rolling something (as the ball in bowling).
2. Any coiled or rolled substance.
3. A roll of photographic film.
4. A list of names; SYN. roster.
5. A flight maneuver; aircraft rotates about its longitudinal axis without changing direction or losing altitude.
6. Walking with a rolling gait.