1. Someone who holds an office of responsibility and decision-making in an administration; SYN. decision maker.
2. Someone who manages a government agency or department; SYN. executive.
3. The party appointed by a probate court to distribute the estate of someone who dies without a will or without naming an executor.
(Irregular plural: bosses)
1. A person responsible for hiring workers; SYN. hirer.
2. A person who exercises control and makes decisions
3. A protuberant part or body; a raised ornamentation; stud; an ornamental projecting block used in architecture
4. A soft pad used in ceramics and glassmaking
5. The hub of a propeller
6. Cow, calf.
ETYM Cf. French directeur.
1. Member of a board of directors.
2. Someone who controls resources and expenditures; SYN. manager, managing director.
1. One who manages an office or a company.
2. One who manages; a conductor or director
3. A person who conducts business or household affairs with economy and frugality; a good economist.