(Irregular preterit, past participle: set).
1. To locate; SYN. localize, place.
2. To put into a certain state; cause to be in a certain state.
3. To set to a certain position.
4. To insert (a nail below the surface); SYN. countersink.
5. To give a fine, sharp edge to a knife or razor.
6. To fix in a border, as of precious stones.
7. To establish as the highest level or best performance; SYN. mark.
8. To disappear beyond the horizon; of celestial bodies such as the sun and the moon; SYN. go down, go under.
9. To apply or start.