1. (Intrans.) Habiter. Il demeure ŕ Paris.
2. (Intrans.) Rester. Il demeure muet.
To be left; of persons, questions, problems, results, evidence, etc.
1. To dwell or inhabit
2. To be present; to be located
ETYM Related to Stay to hold up, prop.
1. To continue in a place, position, or situation; SYN. stay on, continue a remain.
2. To remain behind.
3. To stay the same; remain in a certain state; SYN. remain, rest.
4. To stay put (in a certain place); SYN. stick, stick around, stay put.
5. To stop or halt; SYN. detain, delay.
6. To stop a judicial process.
7. To fasten with stays.