Sinonimi: rust fungus
ETYM as. rust; akin to Dutch roest, German and Swed. rost, Icel. ryth; -- named from its color, and akin to Eng. red. Related to Red.
The formation of reddish-brown ferric oxides on iron by low-temperature oxidation in the presence of water; SYN. rusting.
Reddish brown oxide of iron formed by the action of moisture and oxygen on the metal. It consists mainly of hydrated iron(III) oxide (Fe2O3.H2O and iron(III) hydroxide (Fe(OH)3).
Paints that penetrate beneath any moisture, and plastic compounds that combine with existing rust to form a protective coating, are used to avoid rusting.
A red or brown oxide coating on iron or steel caused by the action of oxygen and moisture.
Oksid železa, Fe2O3, korozija.
1. In botany, common name for the minute parasitic fungi of the order Uredinales, which appear on the leaves of their hosts as orange-red spots, later becoming darker. The commonest is the wheat rust Puccinia graminis.
2. A reddish-brown discoloration of leaves and stems caused by a rust fungus.
3. Any of various fungi causing rust disease in plants; SYN. rust fungus.
Parazitska gljiva na žitu.
1. To cause to contract rust; to corrode with rust; to affect with rust of any kind.
2. (Figurative) To impair by time and inactivity.