1. A fastener fitted to a door or drawer to keep it firmly closed.
2. A device incorporated into the ignition switch to prevent the use of a vehicle by persons who do not have the key; SYN. ignition lock.
3. A mechanism that detonates the charge of a gun.
4. A strand or cluster of hair; SYN. curl, ringlet, whorl.
5. Any wrestling hold in which some part of the opponent's body is twisted or pressured.
6. Section of canal that can be closed to control the water level; used to raise or lower vessels that pass through it; SYN. lock chamber.
Construction installed in waterways to allow boats or ships to travel from one level to another. The earliest form, the flash lock, was first seen in the East in 1st-century-AD China and in the West in 11th-century Holland. By this method barriers temporarily dammed a river and when removed allowed the flash flood to propel the waiting boat through any obstacle. This was followed in 12th-century China and 14th-century Holland by the pound lock. In this system the lock has gates at each end. Boats enter through one gate when the levels are the same both outside and inside. Water is then allowed in (or out of) the lock until the level rises (or falls) to the new level outside the other gate.
Locks are important to shipping where canals link oceans of differing levels, such as the Panama Canal, or where falls or rapids are replaced by these adjustable water “steps”.
Hidrograđevinski objekat, ustava.
Okidač, obarač, okidač na pušci. (tur.)
Lokna, vijugav pramen kose.
Tamnica, uze, haps, robija.
1. A software security feature that requires a key or dongle in order for the application to run correctly. See also dongle.
2. A mechanical device on some removable storage medium (for example, the write-protect notch on a floppy disk) that prevents the contents from being overwritten. See also write-protect notch.
1. Brava sa ključem na nekim računarima koja sprečava druge ljude da koriste vaš računar.
2. Klizač na 3.5 inčnim disketama koji sprečava upisivanje.
3. Ograničeni pristup datoteci u slučaju zajedničkog korišćenja datoteka.
1. To fasten with a lock.
2. To hold in a locking position; SYN. interlock, interlace.
3. To hold fast (in a certain state).
4. To become rigid or immoveable; of bones.
Zatvoriti neku luku ili obalu ratnim brodovima i na taj način sprečiti svaki uvoz i izvoz (životnih namirnica, vojske, municije i sl.); trupama zavoriti pristup nekom gradu; zatvoriti skretnicu; u bilijaru: jakim udarcem loptu oterati u rupu u uglu; građ. ispuniti šupljinu kamenčićima i komadima cigle; tip. slagati izvrnutim slovima radi docnije zamene pravim.