1. To be called; go by a certain name; SYN. go under.
2. To be or act in accordance with.
3. When people go by a place or thing, they pass near that place or thing. When a thing goes by or goes by you, it passes near you.
4. When you go by a place, you go there so that you can do something or get something.
5. When a period of time goes by, it passes.
6. When you go by a policy or standard, you use it as a reference or a guide in making decisions and determining your behavior. When you go by the book, you follow rules, policies, or laws exactly.
7. When you go by a clock, you use it to tell the time.