ETYM Latin binarius, from bini two by two, two at a time, from root of bis twice; akin to Eng. two: cf. French binaire.
1. Consisting of two (units or components or elements or terms) or based on two.
2. Of or pertaining to a number system have 2 as its base.
3. Refers to base 2 numbering system, in which the only allowable digits are 0 and 1. Pertaining to a condition that has only two possible values or states.
Refers to base 2 numbering system, in which the only allowable digits are 0 and 1. Pertaining to a condition that has only two possible values or states.
double; dual. denoting a system of numeration based on 2, and therefore written entirely with 1 and 0, commonly used in digital computers. binary converter, machine converting alternating into direct current. binary fission, division of cell into two equal parts. binary measure, Music, common time. binary star, two stars revolving round a common center. binary theory, chem. theory defining every acid as a hydrogen compound with radical, and every salt as hydrogen compound with hydrogen replaced by a metal.
Having two components, alternatives, or outcomes. The binary number system has 2 as its base, so values are expressed as combinations of two digits, 0 and 1. These two digits can represent the logical values true and false as well as numerals, and they can be represented in an electronic device by the two states on and off, recognized as two voltage levels. Therefore, the binary number system is at the heart of digital computing. Although ideal for computers, binary numbers are usually difficult for people to interpret because they are repetitive strings of 1s and 0s. To ease translation, programmers and others who habitually work with the computer’s internal processing abilities use hexadecimal (base-16) or octal (base-8) numbers. See Appendix E. See also base (definition 2), binary-coded decimal, binary number, bit, Boolean algebra, byte, cyclic binary code, digital computer, dyadic, logic circuit. Compare ASCII, decimal, hexadecimal, octal.
Dvojni, od dva dela, koji se sastoji od dve jedinice, dvojedinični; bineran.
1. Sastoji se ili uključuje dva elementa ili komponente.
2. Brojna osnova 2.
3. Brjni sistem koji koristi dve cifre, nulu i jedinicu.
4. Ponekad se koristi za opisivanje drugih sistema koji nude samo dve mogućnosti izbora, kao na primer Republikanska i Demokratska partija.
5. Sazvežđe sa dva sunca.