ETYM French compagnie, from Old Fren. compaing. Related to Companion.
1. A social gathering of guests or companions.
2. The state of being with someone; SYN. comradeship, companionship, good fellowship, fellowship, society.
3. An institution created to conduct business.
4. Organization of performers and associated personnel (especially theatrical); SYN. troupe.
5. Small military unit; usually two or three platoons.
6. A unit of firefighters including their equipment.
Društvo, udruženje; trgovačko društvo; voj. četa; konpanija. (fr.)
Glavna obaveštajna ustanova SAD.
To be a companion to somebody; SYN. companion, accompany, keep company.