1. An experimental trial; attempt
2. A play in rugby that is similar to a touchdown in football, scores usually five points, and entitles the scoring side to attempt a placekick
A keyword used in the Java programming language to define a block of statements that may throw a Java language exception. If an exception is thrown, an optional “catch” block can handle specific exceptions thrown within the “try” block. Also, an optional “finally” block will be executed regardless of whether an exception is thrown. See also block, catch, exception, finally.
1. To make an effort or attempt; SYN. seek, attempt, essay, assay.
2. To test the limits of; SYN. strain, stress.
3. To give pain or trouble to
4. To melt (fat, lard, etc.) in order to separate out impurities; SYN. render.