ETYM as. scor twenty, from sceran, scieran, to shear, cut, divide; or rather the kindred Icel. skor incision, twenty, akin to Dan. skure a notch, Swed. skara. Related to Shear.
1. A number that expresses the accomplishment of a team or an individual in a game or contest.
2. The act of scoring in a game or sport.
3. The facts about an actual situation.
4. A set of twenty members.
5. A notch that is made to keep a tally.
6. Grounds or rationale; SYN. account.
7. An amount due (as at a restaurant or bar).
Sinonimi: musical score
The orderly presentation of a musical composition in manuscript or printed form. A full score is a large-format conductor’s score, a short score is condensed into fewer staves, a piano score is a reduction to two staves for a pianist-conductor, with remaining essentials in abbreviated form, and a miniature or study score is a full score photo-reduced to pocketbook size.
A written form of a musical composition; parts for different instruments appear on separate staves on large pages; SYN. musical score.
When referring to a spelling checker, a score is a number that indicates how much a replacement word differs from the original misspelled word. A low score indicates that the misspelled word was changed slightly, while a high score indicates that the word was changed a great deal.
1. To gain points; SYN. hit, tally, rack up.
2. To get a certain score
3. To make small marks into the surface of; SYN. nock, mark.
4. To make underscoring marks; SYN. mark.
5. To write a musical score for.