Contemplative of things past.
ETYM French revue, from revu, p. p. of revoir to see again, Latin revidere; pref. re- re- + videre to see. Related to View, and cf. Revise.
1. Practice intended to polish performance or refresh the memory; SYN. brushup.
2. A periodical that publishes critical essays on current affairs or literature or art.
3. An essay or article that gives a critical evaluation (as of a book or play); SYN. critique, critical review, review article.
4. (Law) A judicial reexamination of the proceedings of a court (especially by an appellate court).
5. (Accounting) An accounting service (less exhaustive than an audit) that provides some assurance to interested parties as to the reliability of financial data; SYN. limited review.
1. To appraise critically; SYN. critique.
2. To hold a review (of troops); SYN. go over, survey.
3. To look at again; examine again; SYN. reexamine.
4. To look back upon (a period of time, sequence of events, etc.); remember; SYN. look back, retrospect.
5. To refresh one's memory; SYN. brush up, refresh.
6. To study anew, as for a test.