Being in place; fixed, set
1. A throw made with an overhand pushing motion; specifically; the act or an instance of putting the shot
2. An option to sell a specified amount of a security (as a stock) or commodity (as wheat) at a fixed price at or within a specified time — compare call
(Irregular preterit, past participle: put).
1. To put into a certain place; also with abstract objects and locations; SYN. set, place, pose, position, lay.
2. To put something on or into (abstractly) assign; SYN. assign.
3. To cause to be in a certain state; cause to be in a certain relation.
4. To cause (someone) to undergo something.
5. To adapt.
In programming, to write data, typically to a file; in particular, to write a very small unit of data, such as a character.