ETYM Cf. French polaire. Related to Pole of the earth.
1. Having a pair of equal and opposite charges.
2. Located at or near or coming from the earth's poles.
3. Of or existing at or near a geographical pole or within the Arctic or Antarctic Circles.
4. Diametrically opposite.
5. Exhibiting polarity; especially; having a dipole or characterized by molecules having dipoles.
6. Resembling a pole or axis around which all else revolves; pivotal.
7. Of, relating to, or expressed in polar coordinates ; also; of or relating to a polar coordinate system.
A straight line related to a point; specifically; the straight line joining the points of contact of the tangents from a point exterior to a conic section