ETYM as. nosu.
1. The sense of smell (especially in animals).
2. The front or forward projection of a tool or weapon.
3. A front that resembles a human nose (especially the front of an aircraft).
4. A natural skill.
5. A small distance.
Sinonimi: olfactory organ
The organ of smell and entrance to the respiratory tract; the prominent part of the face of man or other mammals; SYN. olfactory organ.
In humans, the upper entrance of the respiratory tract; the organ of the sense of smell. The external part is divided down the middle by a septum of cartilage. The nostrils contain plates of cartilage that can be moved by muscles and have a growth of stiff hairs at the margin to prevent foreign objects from entering. The whole nasal cavity is lined with a mucous membrane that warms and moistens the air as it enters and ejects dirt. In the upper parts of the cavity the membrane contains 50 million olfactory receptor cells (cells sensitive to smell).
1. To advance the forward part of with caution:
2. To defeat by a narrow margin.
3. To push or move with the nose.